Tuesday, August 3, 2010

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

David Sedaris will be at Chapman University this coming fall, and several people had recommended When You Are Engulfed in Flames to me in the last couple of years. I especially appreciated the balance between memoir and cultural commentary and also the respect for the essay form, but I don't find it as hilarious as people told me it would be--it's pretty darn serious, even when it's funny. The lengthy piece on quitting smoking is wonderful, probably even more so for readers who've actually accomplished that feat (it gave even me an unexpected craving for a cigarette because the description was so well done).

Leatherby Libraries Call Number: PS3569.E314 W48 2008
2nd Floor Humanities Library
Review submitted by: Anna Leahy, Associate Professor, English
Rating: Recommended

No comments: