Monday, August 10, 2009

The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe

My curiosity toward this book was piqued while reading Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, as it plays a prominent role in the story. (Note: this is an ambitious read as it is quite long, but worth every page.) Written in the late 1700s it is one of the early Gothic Romance novels containing romance, villains, supernatural events, terror, all of which are tied up in a pretty package in the last chapter. The scenic descriptions are exceptional; I could truly visualize the settings. However, I will admit I thought the author dragged out the unrequited love of the protagonist too long--I wanted to reach into the pages and tell her to 'snap out of it!' Nonetheless it is an excellent book for the genre. Why has it been forgotten?

Leatherby Libraries Call Number: PR 5202.M82 1962
2nd Floor Humanities Library
Review submitted by: Diane Gennuso, Student Teaching Advisor, Antelope Valley Campus
Rating: Highly Recommended

1 comment:

Nikola said...

Thanks for the review. I'm in the midst of reading it.