Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sleeping with the Dictionary by Harryette Mullen

This collection of poems was a National Book Award finalist and is part of the New California Poetry series. It took me a long time to get through the slim volume, partly because I read some of the poems twice and also because I put it aside several times. I wanted to like it, but just could not get within the context and rhythm of the poems. I suspect the poems are probably awesome if experienced while read aloud to an audience, because of Mullen's playfulness with the English language, but reading them on the page was often difficult for me.

Leatherby Libraries Call Number: PS3563.U3954 S64 2002
2nd Floor Humanities Library
Review submitted by: Stacy Russo, Chair of Public Services, Leatherby Libraries
Rating: Somewhat Recommended

No comments: