Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective by Kate Summerscale (review #2)

I'm a huge fan of Dean Koontz, James Patterson & John Sandford. I enjoy the mystery-to-be-solved and, even more, I enjoy the author's gradual revelation of a character's motivations and rationale for his actions. The beauty of The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher is that it combines all these elements...and it's a true story, from Victorian England. Ms. Summerscale's detailed descriptions of Detective Whicher's investigative efforts (this was at the time when police forces were being formed in England), including investigation of the crime scene, interviewing people familiar with the members of the household in which the crime took place, as well as her diligence in following the lives of the characters well after the conclusion of the trial created an excellent reading experience. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys history, suspense, and well-written books!

Leatherby Libraries Call Number: HV7911.W426 S86 2008
2nd Floor Humanities Library
Review submitted by: Kathy Wright, Executive Assistant, Office of the Executive VP & COO
Rating: Highly Recommended

1 comment:

Tracie Lynne Hall said...

Ohhhh, *nice* review! This confirms for me that mine on this book was too vague...and I suspect I took "poetic license" too far with my suggestion of an evening stroll, since there isn't one anywhere in the book...nor are the windows veiled with lace (they're shuttered) and I don't think there are *any^ walls, let alone "ivyed". Well, I'll get another shot at it with my next reading. :-) I think I might aim for something more descriptive like this.