Monday, July 27, 2009

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Moby Dick was required reading in high school. Before rereading it I reflected on what I remembered--the famous first line "Call me Ishmael," Ishmael's introduction to Queequeg and the final chase. What I did not recall was Melville's attention to cetology and the whaling industry (I probably skipped those chapters). With this reading I learned more than I ever wanted to know about whales and whaling, but that aside, Moby Dick is the riveting tale of Captain Ahab's obsession to destroy what he perceives as the embodiment of evil and the crew's inability to mutiny against him.

Leatherby Libraries Call Number: PS 2384.M6 1991
2nd Floor Humanities Library
Review submitted by: Diane Gennuso, Student Teaching Advisor, Antelope Valley Campus
Rating: Highly Recommended

No comments: