Monday, July 27, 2009

What Narcissism Means To Me by Tony Hoagland

I enjoyed the early poems in Hoagland's recent book most, but as I read on and tried to figure out how the title--What Narcissism Means To Me--was panning out, I was more uncomfortable with some of the tone or content. Maybe that's the point of a poem like "Rap Music": to make the reader squirm a little. Part of why I read poetry is to explore different perspectives, so I'm trying to figure out whether the poems here are aware of their narcissisms--and whether they ask us all to consider how limited we all are by our self interests. I'm not quite yet convinced.

Leatherby Libraries Call Number: PS3558 .O3355 W42 2003
2nd Floor Humanities Library
Review submitted by: Anna Leahy, Assistant Professor, Department of English
Rating: Recommended

No comments: